Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa or an occasion you made up yourself, we want to make sure you stay safe this holiday season. So, from all of us at the RJWestmore Training System by Universal Fire/Life Safety Services, please read and follow our Holiday Safety Tips and accept our warmest wishes for a safe and wonderful celebration:
- Don’t use lighted candles near trees, boughs, curtains/drapes, or with anything that is potentially flammable.
- Wear gloves while decorating with “angel hair.” It can irritate your eyes and skin.
- When spraying artificial snow, be sure to follow manufacturer’s instructions carefully. Sprays like these can irritate your lungs.
- Small children may think that holiday plants look good enough to eat. Unfortunately, many holiday plant varieties (such as mistletoe, holly berries, Jerusalem cherry and amaryllis) are poisonous and/or can cause severe stomach problems if ingested. So keep them well out of the reach of kids.
- Cut off about two inches off the trunk of your tree and place the base in a sturdy, water-filled stand. Monitor water level so the tree does not dry out and become combustible.
- Cut a few inches off the trunk of your tree to expose fresh wood. This allows for better water absorption and will keep your tree from drying out and becoming a fire hazard.
- Stand your tree away from fireplaces, radiators and heat sources. Also, for safety, don’t place the tree where it blocks foot traffic or doorways.
- Avoid placing breakable tree ornaments on low-hanging branches where small children or pets can reach them.
- If you opt for an artificial tree, choose one that has been tested and labeled as fire resistant. Artificial trees with built-in electrical systems should be approved by the Underwriters Laboratory (UL).
- Use indoor lights inside and outdoor lights outside. Check lights for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, and loose connections. Replace or repair damaged light sets.
- Use no more than three light sets on any one extension cord. Extension cords should be placed against the wall to prevent tripping hazards. Never run cords under rugs, around furniture legs or across doorways.
- Turn off lights on trees and decorations when you go to bed or leave the house.
- Unplug extension cords when they are not in use.
- If using a natural tree, keep it well watered so dry branches won’t ignite when they touch warm bulbs.
- If you decide to display outdoor lights, fasten them firmly to a secure support with insulated staples or hooks.
- Don’t nail or tack wiring when hanging lights.
- Keep plugs off the ground, far from puddles and snow.
- When preparing a holiday meal for friends and family wash your hands, utensils, the sink and countertop, and anything else that comes in contact with raw poultry.
- Don’t defrost food at room temperature. Thaw it in the refrigerator, in cold water or in the microwave.
- Keep knives sharp. Believe it or not, most knife injuries occur due to dull blades instead of sharp ones.
- Use a clean food thermometer to make sure internal temperature of food is safe.
- Avoid cleaning kitchen surfaces with wet dishcloths or sponges. These harbor bacteria and promote bacteria growth. For safety, use clean paper towels instead.
- When reheating leftovers, bring the temperature up to at least 165°F to eliminate the risk of bacterial growth.
- Refrigerate or freeze leftovers in covered shallow containers within two hours after cooking.
- Make sure toys suit the age, abilities, skills and interest level of the intended child.
- Read instructions carefully before allowing your child to play with something he or she has received as a gift.
- To prevent burns and electrical shock, don’t give young children toys that must be plugged into an electrical outlet. On average, battery-operated toys are safer.
- Since young kids can choke on small parts, follow government recommendations that say toys for children under the age of three cannot contain parts that are less than 1 1/4 inches in diameter and 2 1/4 inches long.
- Keep children from swallowing button batteries and magnets. These are found in musical greeting cards, remote controls, hearing aids and other small electronics as well as toys. If your child swallows a battery of any kind, immediately call your health care provider.
- Remove strings and ribbons from toys before giving them to young children.
- Children can choke or suffocate on broken balloons. So do not allow children under age eight to play with them.
- Pull-toys with strings that are more than 12 inches in length are choking hazards for babies. Keep kids away from strings and cords.
- Store toys in designated locations, such as on a shelf or in a toy chest.
For more about holiday safety, check out the free information provided by the National Safety Council, the National Fire Protection Association and our previous posts. When a disaster strikes, prior planning and clear decisive action can help save lives. The RJWestmore Training System by Universal Fire/Life Safety Services is a convenient and affordable solution to all of the training needs of your building(s). Choosing our service cuts property management training-related costs by 90% and saves you over 50% compared to conventional training! More importantly, IT SAVES LIVES.